Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

Florent Rougon wrote:

> If the silent error results in a graph that is incorrect on the computer
> that is monitoring some state of your health in hospital, it may simply
> cause your death. I'd rather prefer the developer had his program abort
> due to an exception when he was developing it, forcing him to fix the
> bug before the program reaches the hospital.

Wrong example. 8-)

For safety-critical applications, you have to prove that no exceptional
error conditions can occur, and turn off exceptions afterwards.  In the
case of a health monitoring system, things can still be fixed because
it's just monitoring.  Now think about software controlling an
infusion, or even extracorporeal circulation.

However, for normal software, failfast semantics are desirable.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, freenet.de, hotmail.com, libero.it,