Will Newton <will@misconception.org.uk> writes:

> On Friday 20 Feb 2004 3:49 pm, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [2004-02-20
> 04:03]:
> > >
> > > If the DAM accepts someone can the NM-committe overrule him?
> >
> > The reason why a short public AM report for each applicant is posted
> > to the -newmaint mailing list (a public list) is so people (NM
> > committee members and others) can raise their objections to the
> > recommendation of that person (or support it).
>
> But can their support overrule the DAM, or is this a purely negative process
> i.e. can only hinder their application realistically?

The DAM decides. He doesn't have to follow anything anyone says. He
just makes up his own mind and decides. All of Debian could be for
FOOBAR and he could still just reject him. _could_. The other way does
not quite work: without getting through the AM stages you don't end up
on the DAMs table.

That sounds like the DAM has just the one big veto vote at the end of
the process. He can kill every NM he wants but not realy make any the
AM doesn't want.

But there is a limited control mechanism in place (since 3rd quater of
last year?). The DAM rejection has to be ratified or overturned by the
NM committee (1/4 of the commitee to turn a weak rejection and 2/3 to
turn a strong rejection). An absolute rejection 'FOOBAR is not
becoming a DD on my watch' can only be overturned by a GR.

So, to come back to your question, the only people that can overrule
the DAM is the nm-committee (or a GR) and the DAM can decide how much
of them is needed to overrule him. What everyone else says is 'just'
incentive for the DAM and the nm-commitee what to vote. The NM can
decide to make the rejection public and start a "flamewar" about it
but that just adds incentive to what the nm-committee decides and
doesn't change where the decision lies.

Did I get that right? Being exactly in that position right now please
correct me if I understood anything wrong.

MfG
        Goswin