Re: libc doc vs manpages disagreement

At Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:59:22 +0100,
Marek Habersack wrote:
>   I've just noticed that the two sources disagree on the units used for the
> RLIMIT_RSS resource. libc docs claim that all the memory limits are
> expressed in bytes while setrlimit(2) claims RLIMIT_RSS size is in pages
> (which bash's ulimit seems to agree with).
> The kernel seems to agree with the libc docs. So, should I file a bug
> against the manpages or the libc docs?

	- RLIMIT_RSS manpage in BSD/AIX says it in byte.

	- RLIMIT_RSS is used in byte, which is used only at madvise()
	on 2.4 kernel as written in manpage.  The current 2.6 kernel
	does not use it any more.  Recently Rik van Riel sent a patch
	to enforce RSS limit, though:

		http://lwn.net/Articles/68088/

	- RLIMIT_RSS is not documented in Susv3.  So we can interpret
          as implementation dependent.

	- At least linux manpages is for linux based systems.

My conclusion:	manpages bug.

Regards,
-- gotom