Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

In article <[🔎] 200402161848.33575.russell@coker.com.au>
russell@coker.com.au writes:
>Solaris 2.6 has UFS as the only file system for disks.  In my tests UFS was
>slower than Ext2 in Linux 2.2.x for file creation and deletion, even when
>running on machines with faster CPUs and disks.  Using ReiserFS the
>performance difference of create/delete was very amusing.

When making such comparisons, you should note strongly that UFS does
syncronous operations where ext2 does asyncronous.  This means that
UFS is slower but more reliable.

Since then, optional journaling has been added to both UFS and ext2
(called ext3 when journaling enabled).
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html