RE: virus scanning

Russell Coker wrote:
> Could virus scanning be installed on master?

This would be the best option, IMO.

> I'm getting virus bounces when master tries to send mail on to
> developers who have their machines configured to reject such messages,
> I've just got two from messages to Vincent.

Although I'm not a DD, I'm subscribed to some Debian mailing lists as well, and my mail server rejects mails with virm as well, so I guess this applies to me, too.

> Vincent, would it be possible for you to configure your server to
> unconditionally accept mail from master and then send viruses to
> /dev/null?
>
> In a general sense rejecting a virus with a code 550 is good, but in
> the case of mail forwarders it just results in a bounce going to an
> innocent third party.  While master lacks virus scanning the best thing
> to do is to accept the message and send it to /dev/null so that no
> bounces are generated.
>
> However sending 550 codes is ideal for mail that goes direct.

How do you define "direct"?

I agree that accepting and /dev/null'ing virii will prevent some misdirected bounces, but what does this have to do with whether such messages are delivered through master (or any other mailing list server) vs. some other 3rd party mail server?  In either case you can't know whether the calling server will generate a concrete bounce message as a reaction to your 550 rejection.