Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 06:01:43AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> To compare the kernels we could use CPUs of comparable speed on each side.
> 400MHz SPARC CPUs seemed to run gzip at the same speed as 400MHz Celeron CPUs
> last time I tested.

Evaluating a kernel should be a highly architecture-dependant thing.
To my mind, it requires running the desired versions of [insert OS here] on
the exact same hardware.

While it is interesting and useful to know comparisons between
[sparc/solaris/taskX] vs [x86/linux/taskX]
I wouldnt exactly call that "comparing kernels"

If someone is specifically interested in
"how does solaris compare with linux", I would suggest finding a SCSI-based
x86 machine, and doing the comparison on that box.

(or contrariwise, running sparclinux vs sparc/solaris, of course)