Re: some /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ scripts don't background, hogging the whole line

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 06:10, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> T> A parallelizing run-parts is the right way to implement this.
>
> Actually, some exceptions: I was thinking about running chrony type
> things first before the others clog the line

Yes, any adequate "parallelizing" run-parts needs to allow for a
partial ordering of script execution.

I have prepared two different experimental packages (implementing
different ideas) containing parallelizing versions of run-parts.
Both of them allow you to declare dependencies among scripts using
a Makefile-like syntax.  Thus if bar needs to run after foo then you
declare:

    bar : foo

> Way over my head.

I don't think so.  Suppose you want to try my run-parts-concurrently
package.  Just install the package and then change the 'run-parts'
lines in ip-up and ip-down to 'run-parts-concurrently'.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>