Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> So many packages, so few that I need started at every boot.
>
> So I file wishlist bugs "please add a debconf item to not start at
> boot".

I find it incredibly irritating when packages do this.  Especially
when they do it by creating a file in /etc/default which gets sourced
by the init.d script, so the normal '/etc/init.d/ssh start' doesn't
work.  (Oh, did I name a specific package there?  :-)

> Do various things that change the links in /etc/rc.*, I was told.  Uh
> huh, lasted until the next upgrade of that package.  It would be
> better to do things that the maintainer expected we users would do.

Some people on debian-user think 'update-rc.d -f xdm remove' is the
right way to do this.  They're wrong, but they keep popping up with
this advice.  "Do things that change the links", like using 'rm' and
'ln -s' is in fact correct, and if a package overwrites this
configuration then that's a bug in that specific package.  (Oh, shoot,
named a package again.)

Perhaps there's a bug that a quick glance through the documentation
doesn't mention this at all.  (The FAQ and the Debian Reference both
mention update-rc.d as a way to install local init scripts, but don't
have a way to stop scripts from running.)

	-- Abra Mitchell