Re: experimental codename

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:03:57AM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Graham Wilson <graham@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 08:44:42PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> >> it's a bit different and for different arches. What about the arches
> >> `all'? Well, I'm maybe a particular case: powerpc + java ;) but it
> >> could be the same with sparc + perl or else. Where can I have more
> >> information about experimental?
> >
> > Hmm... I am not quite sure I understand you. Can you explain more?
>
> I don't know how to write a sources.list line for architecture `all'.

Just as for sid and sarge and potato, you do not need a special line for
Arch: all packages; they are referenced from the Packages file for every
architecture.

> Am I correct if I say that it will not take more place than now, but
> only the Packages and Sources files will change?

Yes, only the Packages and Sources files will increase in size, but, as
Henning says, even this is not a good idea.

> > But indeed, the same affect can be accomplished by using APT's
> > preferences file.
>
> Yes, it's me not able to deal with the experimental apt/sources.list
> configuration and not able to configure apt correctly. Is it only me or
> maybe a better documentation about it could be a good thing?

No, I also feel that documentation about using is experimental is spread
out and hard to come by.

I think maybe many problems with using experimental as a playground for
development packages could be remedied by creating a central document
about it. Things to include might be:

  * sources.lists lines
  * using APT's preferences to pin packages from experimental
  * how to build packages in experimental for arches that are missing
    (since there are not buildds)
  * anything else?

--
gram