Re: Nice multilingual environment with Debian menu

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> 2. command are executed under "sh -c" to enable new environment,

Menu documentation is not clear about how command are to be executed.
I have made a study of the problem (http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/wmbugs,
tes backquote).
Part of the problem is that many window-manager documentation are
not clear either on this point.

There are several way to execute a command:
1) Split on white space and call exec, à la xterm -e command
2) call sh -c 'command'
3) call sh -c 'exec command'
4) call system($command)

It is my opinion that the correct way (as far as menu is concerned) is
2). This can be implemented in the menu-method 'supported' section,
without needing to patch the window-manager.

The problem with 3) is that it break a lot of things, like
% sh -c 'exec LANG=jp locale'
sh: exec: LANG=jp: not found

This is the problem with blackbox.

Currently menu.h handle text entries under X11 using
x-terminal-emulator -e command, this can be seen as a bug and I will
fix it in the next release.

Opinion ?

Cheers, [Please CC me, thanks]
--