Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:29:24PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:31:17PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>> > We don't have to map them onto anything. We just have to pass them
>> > through to the menu methods in a fashion that allows them to generate
>> > .desktop files.

>> Other way around.  You have to pass .desktop files through to the
>> menu-methods in a fashion that allows them to generate menus digestible to
>> applications not supporting .desktop files.

> You seem to have lost the context.

Why, how?

*If* Debian is supposed to switch to .desktop (instead of enhancing
the Debian menu format) the only sensibl possibiltiy is to make menu
be able to use .desktop as input. Once that is there any package can
switch at its convenience (if it there are benefits for the package).

The other possibilities (Throw away menu, dump all windownagers not
supporting .desktop, implement .desktop support for all all
windowmanagers) are imho clearly unrealistic.
       cu andreas

--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_