Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 07:36:15PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:

| > Have you quantified the "bloat" you are speaking about? Can the same
| > argument not apply to any i18n effort?
|
| Yes, using KDE2.
[...]
| Yes, the same argument applies to all i18n efforts.
|
| I18n is great, until disk usage and processing times start to climb
| with no real benefit to individual users.

I seem to recall reading a number of complaints /from users/ in the BTS,
requesting .desktop files precisely because they are i18nalised.  Others
have suggested expanding the current Debian menu definition to handle
i18n.  That, to me, sounds like there must be some kind of benefit to
individual users to have translated menu items.

| I would hardly call avoiding forcing everyone except KDE and Gnome the
| need to deal with menu data files which are 10x to 20x the size they
| need to be `not buying nobody anything'.

I suspect that those who would rather see menu entries in their native
language - and whose native language is not English - would consider the
larger menu data files necessary to handle i18n to be a real advantage.

Cameron.