Backporting 2.4.23 kernel packages

Where I'm working, we have Debian stable deployed on a number of boxes. For
hardware support reasons, we've had to grab newer kernels from testing, and
have been reasonably successful at not dragging in half of testing with
them.

We're going to want to upgrade everything to 2.4.23 ASAP, but I'd prefer not
to drag in half of unstable with this upgrade.

So, I was wondering how to go about taking the source package for 2.4.23-686
(and the SMP version) and backport them to stable?

Is it as simple as taking the source package and building it in a stable
pbuilder chroot, or is there more black magic involved with kernel packages?

Thanks

Andrew