Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

> On Thursday 04 December 2003 13:19, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > The silly question is : What does our actual menu system provide that
> > > shouldn't be achieved by using .desktop file ?
> > >
> > > As those are going to be a standard, we should deal with them.
> >
> > You could swap "our menu system" and ".desktop files" here and your
> > argument would still be about as valid.
[snip]
> debian menu advantage(s) :
>
>  - well integrated into debian :)
>  - ...
[snip]
> The other question is "how hard could it be to adapt menu to desktop files ?".

I think only one thing is blocking the whole idea of moving from Debian Menu style to freedesktop.org style: the work that need to be done. In other words, people don't wanna use the .desktop format because the have already write a debian/menu.

It would be *very* hard to make the developers agree, but we need to think in the Open Source Community as a whole. The Debian Menu is used only by Debian, but the .desktop is or may be used by any distribution.

Now just imagine what would happen if all the major distributions used a standard created by them. We would see Debian Menu, RedHat Menu, Mandrake Menu, SuSE Menu, everything in just one upstream package?

IMHO, it's better to make an effort to change all deb's to something approved in many places than changing just a few ones to something accepted only here. If I said something that sounds like an offense, please forgive me.

Cheers,
Felipe.