Re: UserLinux white paper

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:52:47PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> So, our problem is how to rebalance the vendor-customer relationship for
> our purposes. Probably the most useful tool is the industry group
> organization, where a number of similar businesses get together to steer
> their participation in userlinux, and the group involves their vendors
> from a position of strength, together, rather than one of weakness,
> apart. Customer group 1 is confident that this will work for them.

Speaking as a ISV, I would be glad if customers are actually can agree on one platform.
We are often forced to officially support a platform for one or two customers only. And of
course this is more expensive then one or two customers are willing to pay.

Therefore it is not something like "industry group vs. ISV" but it is
something more along the line of "industry group for economy of scales"

The above may give you also the possibility to reword the reasoning for
industry support in a way, that it is not offensive to ISVs.

I am not sure this is the right place here, Bruce, do you have another list
to discuss your plans?

Greetings
Bernd
--