Re: Which package provides policy-rc.d

begin  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>> I hope someone knows what policy-rc.d is and can comment my idea, because
>> the maintainer of file-rc will stay conform to sysv-rc, which uses
>> policy-rc.d.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~hmh/, there is a paper there on initscripts. Read
> it when people.d.o comes back online (which should be soon, if it isn't
> online yet...)

I've got the document from google's cache. So maybe my informations
aren't up to date.

Which init script supports the force-stop option? The debian policy
doesn't name this option and I couldn't imagin what it should do.

What is an out-of-runlevel start/restart? I don't understand, what you
mean.

|A runlevel for update-rc.d is defined as a character string, of which the
|usual INIT one-character runlevels are only a subset. It may contain
|embedded blanks.

But »RL=`${RUNLEVEL} | sed 's/.*\ //'`« would remove all blanks. Are
there really runlevels with blanks?

|Fallback actions are returned in the first line sent to stdout (other lines
|will be discarded). Multiple actions to be tried are allowed, and must be
|separated by spaces.

But »FALLBACK=`${POLICYHELPER} ...`« will join all lines. I would require
that fallback actions are returned in only one line. More will lead to an
undefined behaviour.

Is there an bug? If FORCE is set, RC=101 and policyhelper returns 101 or
104 RC is set to 104 which means the action is allow even though internal
policy and policyhelper said no.

Why not skip the policy-rc.d call if force is given?

Why policy-rc.d isn't used by /e/i/rc? rc is run the first time after
runlevel S and at this point policy-rc.d should be available. I think
this would be the more interesting situation to modify the bahaviour of
init scripts.

I uploaded a new version of invoke-rc.d to
http://www.minet.uni-jena.de/~joergs/veto-rc.d/. Maybe you can take a
look at this. It is cleaner than the current version in file-rc. But it
doesn't call policy-rc.d if --force is given, because it doesn't
influence the behaviour of invoke-rc.d.

Bye, Joerg.
end.
--
Das Recht, seine Meinung zu wechseln, ist eines der wichtigsten
menschlichen Previlegien.