Re: Anyone know anything about 3dwm?

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> I'm trying to prepare a QA upload of the 3dwm source package, and close a
> few of the trivial bugs assigned to it (mainly binary package descriptions
> being shite).

   Yes, they all suck pretty much. Here are my suggestions:

Package: libcelsius
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libcelcius, 3Dwm's low-level interface library. It provides an
 abstraction layer for details of the underlying operating system such as
 threads management, mutex handling, synchronization, shared memory and
 dynamically linked libraries.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libcelcius.

Package: libgarbo
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libgarbo, 3Dwm's backwards compatibility library for existing
 windowing systems. It provides an abstraction layer for conventional
 systems such as X11, Windows and Mac OS, as long as they are capable of
 running locally on the same machine.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libgarbo.

Package: libnobel
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libnobel, the 3Dwm client library upon which all 3Dwm applications
 depend. It is a set of CORBA IDL interfaces that describe how to speak with
 3Dwm, thus allowing any language with CORBA bindings to be used to build
 3Dwm applications.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libnobel.

Package: libpolhem
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libpolhem, the Nobel client programming interface. It manages the
 3Dwm display and input hardware and acts as an extensible framework for
 pluggable modules that add functionalities to the system.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libpolhem.

Package: libzorn
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libzorn, the core of 3Dwm's graphic output functions. It provides
 basic painting functionalities as well as 3D widgets.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libzorn.

Package: libsolid
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libsolid, a core 3Dwm library that provides structured data trees
 for the trace system.
 .
 This package provides the runtime shared library for libsolid.

Package: 3dwm-server
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This package contains the 3Dwm display server daemon.

Package: 3dwm-geoclient
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is a very simple 3Dwm client that connects to the exported GeometryKit
 in the server, creates a Geometry, loads a 3D file from the local system and
 passes it to the 3Dwm server.
 .
 The 3Dwm server will happily render any geometry that is created, so
 running geoclient several times will add more geometries to the graphical
 output. Please note that you may need to zoom out (using the 'X' key) to
 see graphical output.
 .
 The geoclient is able to open native .raw files as well as standard 3ds
 files (using MeshIO). In other words, you may experiment by loading other
 files than the supplied office model to the 3Dwm server.

Package: 3dwm-texclient
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is a simple client used to test the 3Dwm texture capabilities.

Package: 3dwm-vncclient
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This will open a connection to the VNC server from the 3Dwm server, and the
 graphical output will be displayed on a single quad in the 3Dwm world (you
 may need to zoom out to see it). Currently, vncclient supports no interaction
 with the VNC window (the bindings and the actual communication code have been
 implemented, only the 3Dwm side is missing).

Package: 3dwm-csgclient
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 libsolid is the core 3Dwm library that provides structured data trees for
 the trace system.
 .
 This is a simple example of how libsolid works.

Package: 3dwm-pickclient
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 libzorn is the core of 3Dwm's graphic output functions. It provides basic
 painting functionalities as well as 3D widgets.
 .
 This is a simple example of how libzorn works.

Package: 3dwm-clock
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 The 3Dwm clock application (tdwm-clock) is the first real application
 that is even remotely useful. It makes use of the 3Dwm Nobel API, including
 the new solid modeling support, to create a three-dimensional analog clock
 displaying the current time.

Package: libcelsius-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libcelcius, 3Dwm's low-level interface library. It provides an
 abstraction layer for details of the underlying operating system such as
 thread management, mutex handling, synchronization, shared memory and
 dynamically linked libraries.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libcelcius.

Package: libgarbo-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libgarbo, 3Dwm's backwards compatibility library for existing
 windowing systems. It provides an abstraction layer for conventional
 systems such as X11, Windows and Mac OS, as long as they are capable of
 running locally on the same machine.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libgarbo.

Package: libnobel-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libnobel, the 3Dwm client library upon which all 3Dwm applications
 depend. It is a set of CORBA IDL interfaces that describe how to speak with
 3Dwm, thus allowing any language with CORBA bindings to be used to build
 3Dwm applications.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libnobel.

Package: libpolhem-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libpolhem, the Nobel client programming interface. It manages the
 3Dwm display and input hardware and acts as an extensible framework for
 pluggable modules that add functionalities to the system.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libpolhem.

Package: libzorn-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libzorn, the core of 3Dwm's graphic output functions. It provides
 basic painting functionalities as well as 3D widgets.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libzorn.

Package: libsolid-dev
 3Dwm is the Three-Dimensional Workspace Manager. It defines a full user
 environment with support for three-dimensional user interfaces using a 3D
 widget kit. It also provides some backwards compatiility with all the major
 existing windowing systems using VNC.
 .
 This is libsolid, a core 3Dwm library that provides structured data trees
 for the trace system.
 .
 This package provides the static library and headers required to build
 applications that use libsolid.

--
Sam.