Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:36:56 -0600 (CST), Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> But our users should not be expected to look at control files in
>> order to know what to install, should they?
>>
>> Following this reasoning, we might suggest that policy only states
>> the mandatory fields in control, and any field not covered by
>> policy should just be ignored by our tools... That way, I could put
>> this cool line in my control files:
>>
>> Greetings: Hi mom!
>>
>> and it would parse just fine. And yes, I can ask my mom to go and
>> check if there is something fun in my packaging...

> You can do that now.  I don't see what your point is.

> My point, is that policy is describing a field, as being
> implemented, when the tools have not implemented it yet.

	Excuse me? Exactly what is described as having been
 implemented? The field allows the maintainer to express a
 relationship, and people reading the package description to realize
 that the relationship exists.

	The fact that the tool authors have not seen fit to implement
 some functionality has nothing to do with policy (despite what you
 may think, policy is not dpkg documentation).

	manoj
--
Money and women are the most sought after and the least known of any
two things we have. The Best of Will Rogers