Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:15, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>
> wrote:
>> > Or do you have to be root for getpwnam() to work on NIS accounts?

>> In certain NIS configurations you can only access the hashed password
>> if your query to the NIS server comes from a privileged port <=1024,
>> i.e. afaict yes.

> This is so ugly.

> Maybe we should have a debconf option for whether the program in
> question is to be SETUID root or SETGID shadow?  Then the minority
> of people who use NIS can have full functionality, while the
> majority of people who don't use NIS can have better security.

Sounds feasible. (Of course if you insist you can already use
dpkg-statoverride today), a patch would look like this:

config
if ! dpkg-statoverride --list /sbin/unix_chkpwd 1>/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
        # check if we are installing suid or not
        RET=false
        db_input medium libpam-modules/unix_chkpwd_SUID_bit || true
        db_go
fi

postinst:
if [ "$1" = "configure" ] ; then
  # do nothing if local admin has overriden the permissions
  if ! dpkg-statoverride --list /sbin/unix_chkpwd 1>/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
    RET=false
    db_get libpam-modules/unix_chkpwd_SUID_bit
    if [ "$RET" = "true" ]; then
      chown root:root /sbin/unix_chkpwd
      chmod 4755 /sbin/unix_chkpwd
    else