Re: Package libc6-dev depends on linux-kernel-headers

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:05:20AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> >> So your "substantive reason" is: "The name of the new package is
> >> poorly chosen."? - I don't think so, it describes the contents rather
> >> well, doesn't it?
>
> > Well, the package contains the header files appropriate to libc. It has
> > been mentioned that these headers are mostly 'private' to libc, that is,
> > applications should rarely include them. The headers do not need to
> > match the kernel version - but calling the package
> > 'linux-kernel-headers' gives a strong association between itself and the
> > linux kernel.
> [...]
>
> Ok, I get your point. RedHat 7.3 uses glibc-kernheaders as name for
> this package.

FWIW, I agree with the sentiment that this should be a separate package
(and should have been for a long time now), but the name of the package
definitely could more clearly represent its contents.  I was baffled
myself when upgrading some unstable systems pulled in this mysterious
package, with an apparent kernel version (2.5.99something) that made no
sense compared to anything else I had installed.  Also, since I maintain
kernel installations locally on those systems, I had no idea why it
would be pulled in by apt.

I tried to get rid of it to no avail, before checking the description
and realizing exactly what it was for.

Before that realization, it seemed like the type of random cruft that
sometimes gets pulled in on dist-upgrade; a name change would help
alleviate that initial perception, IMO.  Why not libc6-linux-headers?

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>