Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

On 03 Nov 2003 15:05:56 -0500
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> I finally convinced a sysadmin friend of mine that Debian was the way
> and the light.

Great, you are rigth!

[...]

> What started the chain of events was that a fairly routine minor bug
> bit the latest libc6 release. He's an experienced sysadmin though and
> wasn't the least bit fazed by that. What drove him batty was that it
> was so hard to recover from the mess and all the obvious avenues just
> made the problem worse.

[...]

I did have the problem today! ;)

So first, it's really a bad idea to merge stable, testing and unstable,
especially with libraries! A better thing to do is to backport the
package so it can fit in stable.

The problem with recent libc6 is libdb1-compat. The solution is to
download the old libc6 and install it with:
# dpkg --force-overwrite -i libc6_version_arch.deb
# dpkg --purge libdb1-compat

and then, I did reinstall libc6 (to be sure but I don't know if it's
needed).

Even with some bugs, Debian is the good way ;)

Best regards,

--
  .''`.       ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 : :' :          Arnaud   Vandyck