Re: status of Progeny projects

* Martin Schulze

|    Graphical Installer? Michael Cardenas [36]released his patch to
|    cdebconf that adds a gtk2.0 frontend. It still required a little
|    bit of work but others finished it and Tollef Fog Heen already
|    [37]committed it. This is an important step forward in the
|    direction of a graphical installer for Debian.
|
|    36. http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0209/msg00062.html
|    37. http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0209/msg00082.html
|
| Also, wasn't the goal of using debconf in d-i to be able to easily (!)
| adapt a new frontend besides the preferred textual frontend?  Don't
| tell me we failed this.

It's certainly possible to install using the GTK frontend.  However,
we've run into a lot of trouble that debconf doesn't provide the
needed richness which you'd expect in a GUI installer.  This means
that the GTK installer would «suck by design».  We've thrown a few
ideas back and forth wrt what we should do, but so far without any
good solutions.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-