Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:22:16AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:05, Graham Wilson wrote:
> > If the bug *can be* reproduced, it should definitely not be closed. I
> > agree with you on this point.
> >
> > However, if the maintainer *cannot* reproduce it, and nobody has
> > provided any useful information on how to do so, I feel the bug can be
> > closed after a given amount of time. This is what I originally said.
>
> Everyone agrees that the maintainer can close unreproducable bugs for which
> the bug reporter provides no further input.
>
> However that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is of a
> maintainer closing bugs which could be tested so trivially that it would be
> easier to test for the existence of the bug than to close the bug report.

You keep going on the assumption that the maintainer of a piece of
software uses said software. In the case of KDE where they bundle nearly
20 separate apps in kdenetwork alone this is certainly not the case. I
have never used kmail. That said what I did was wrong and I understand
and accept that. However, saying it is easier to test for the bugs
existence than to close it is simply not true.

Chris