Re: Source only uploads?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:46:45AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Andrew Suffield dijo [Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:10:02PM +0100]:
> > > I don't see how the current process help you on this?  Any maintainer
> > > can be lazy, and upload half-compiled package.  There is many way to
> > > make a package where even the debian/rules file doesn't run.  If the
> > > package is a binary-all, it will not even be notice!
> >
> > If the maintainer is an incompetent moron, sure. But we generally
> > assume maintainers don't do stupid things like this.
>
> If the maintainer is tired, has not got good sleep, has many things on
> his head or whatever, he might not be such a moron. He might just want
> to get the new package shipped - Probably fixing an important
> bug. Yes, I know it would be more responsable for the maintainer to
> wait until his head works fine, but sometimes you have to rush a
> fix. It is an extra step to insure quality.

Source-only uploads will do nothing to help here. If the maintainer
can't even build their package properly, they won't have got the
source right either.

> > With the current process, most packages are built in a real-world
> > environment and then used in that environment by a significant number
> > of people, over a significant period of time. This gives us a better
> > than average chance of noticing any problems. It's not perfect, but
> > it's probably the best we're going to get.
>
> What do you achieve by preferring real-world environments? My build
> environment is very real-world (I use it), but it probably is as
> different as yours as it is from an artificial environment. My
> packages are only proven to build on my personal machine.

They're proven to build _and work once built_ on your machine, which
almost certainly changes quite a bit with time, on numerous different
occasions, plus all the buildds. So you've got a pretty good coverage
of possibilities there.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |