Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:53:01PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> it's your responsibility as a Debian maintainer to handle bugs in your
>> packages.
>
> There is no way you can say to a volutantary worker "I demand to be
> served for free!" Ofcourse, technically closing upstream bugs is wrong.
> But it is just as wrong to only reopen them.
>
> You should have send them to the kde upstream Bug Tracking System
> and mark them "forwarded to upstream" in debian BTS. Since you appear
> to be unwilling to help debian project even that small way,
> I've promised Chris to read through the bug list in weekend, and submit
> and mark upstream bugs to kde BTS.

No, the maintainer(s) should do that.  That is not a submitter's
responsibility.

>> It's _not_ OK to tell the users of your packages to only file them
>> upstream.
>
> This is ludicrous. There is no advantage to anyone if obvious
> upstream issues pass through debian BTS. Packaging bugs
> to debian BTS, upstream bugs to upstream BTS. If unsure,
> to debian BTS.

Bullshit.  There's plenty advantage for a submitter to *always* use the
Debian BTS to report bugs, namely because, as a Debian user, I don't
give a rats ass when upstream fixes a bug; I'm only interested in when
that fix is released in a Debian package.

--
I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.