Re: Closing bugs such as 210560

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:29:18PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:49, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > "If it has not been fixed please do not reopen the bug in Debian BTS"
> > >
> > > Please explain your interpretation of the above quote then.  When bugs
> > > are closed without any testing or review and such a message is given,
> > > what conclusion can possibly be drawn other than that the Debian
> > > maintainer does not want any bug reports in the Debian BTS, and that such
> > > reports will not be taken seriously?
> >
> > I interpret it as a request not to reopen the bug. I don't see where
> > you're getting "If you do reopen the bug or file another similar one,
> > it will not be taken seriously" from.
>
> What you are saying makes no sense.  If bug reports are to be taken seriously
> then they will be tested before being closed.

You might follow this convention. It is not the case that everybody
has to, so you can't draw conclusions based on assuming that they do.

> Why would you close a bug report if you were prepared to take it seriously if
> re-opened?

If you think about that question for a moment then at least one fairly
obvious answer springs to mind. It's a pretty effective form of
filtering.

Besides, you're ignoring the context of the rest of the closing
message.

None of what you have said justifies claiming that the closing message
said, or even implied, that such reports would not be taken seriously.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |