proper way to generate shlibs.local?

Hi!

There are several binary packages are created out of the zorp source.
Some of them depends on libzorp2, generated from there as well.
Because of that I need a shlibs.local file to tell dh_slibdeps
about the versioned dependency. I am creating it from the
shlibs file created dh_makeshlibs, thus:

        dh_makeshlibs -n
        dh_makeshlibs -plibzorp2 -V
        dh_installdeb -a
        find debian/ -name shlibs |xargs cat >debian/shlibs.local
        dh_shlibdeps -a -l`pwd`/debian/libzorp2/usr/lib

Questions:
1. do I need the shlibs.local file, is not, what to do?
2. is the above the Right Way, or is there a More Right Way?

Thank you for your advice.