Re: To what extent should Debian modify the kernel? (Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!)

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:08:07AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > I currently patch my kernels with device-mapper, a few evms-related patches
> > and skas3.  It would be very convenient if device-mapper and the evms
> > patches could be included in the the stock kernel; then users could use EVMS
> > or LVM2 in stock kernel images.  This is especially useful in the installer
> > kernels.
>
> Is the device-mapper completely modularised? If it is, then I have
> no problems with including it.

I'm not sure what "completely" means here.  If it means "doesn't touch
common code", then of course device-mapper does not fit that description.
Of course, then ipsec certainly does not either.  Here is a diffstat:

I ran it through diffstat, and removed the files which are created entirely by
the patch, so these are the changes to common code:

 Documentation/Configure.help    |   14
 MAINTAINERS                     |    7
 arch/mips64/kernel/ioctl32.c    |   17
 arch/parisc/kernel/ioctl32.c    |   17
 arch/ppc64/kernel/ioctl32.c     |   17
 arch/s390x/kernel/ioctl32.c     |   15
 arch/sparc64/kernel/ioctl32.c   |   17
 arch/x86_64/ia32/ia32_ioctl.c   |   17
 drivers/md/Config.in            |    2
 drivers/md/Makefile             |   35 -
 drivers/md/lvm.c                |    9
 fs/buffer.c                     |   29
 fs/jbd/journal.c                |   10
 fs/reiserfs/super.c             |    2
 fs/super.c                      |  138 ++++
 include/linux/fs.h              |    5
 include/linux/jbd.h             |    2
 include/linux/vmalloc.h         |    1
 kernel/ksyms.c                  |    3
 mm/Makefile                     |    4
 mm/filemap.c                    |   11
 mm/vmalloc.c                    |   19

The only new object which is not part of the dm module is mm/mempool.c.
As you are no doubt aware, device-mapper is maintained, and merged in 2.6.0.

> For the other patches, please send them to me along with reasons why
> you think they should be included.

EVMS can work fine with only device-mapper, but it adds a few things which
are in separate patches, mostly related to device-mapper.  All of them are
in the kernel-patch-evms package for your perusal, but I can send you copies
if you like.

These are entirely self-contained and modularized:

  evms-dm-bbr - a bad block relocation target for device-mapper
  evms-dm-sparse - a sparse device target for device-mapper

This changes only one module, which is part of device-mapper:

  evms-dm-snapshot - updates to the snapshot target for device-mapper

and these are fixes to common code to work better with evms/dm:

  evms-jfs - very tiny, adds a couple of calls to updateSuper in
  fs/jfs/super.c; I think this may be needed for snapshots of JFS filesystems

  evms-md-multipath - fixes to the md multipath module

I don't use JFS or MD multipath, so I can't really speak to these last two
patches.

--
 - mdz