Re: Building kernel modules for stock kernels is a hell of a job!

#include <hallo.h>
* Manuel Bilderbeek [Sun, Aug 24 2003, 04:32:45PM]:

> The procedure I'm going through is as follows (being root all the time)
>
> 1) install the kernel source for the kernel, e.g. kernel-source-2.4.21
>
> 2) go to /usr/src and tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.21.tar.bz2

Why don't you use the kernel-headers packages and use them as partial
kernel source? They provide header files (including the complete kernel
version) and the .config that belongs to them.

> Notes:
> - If you have just installed a new kernel-image package (i.e. a new
> stock kernel), you need to do everything from the start *after* booting
> this new kernel

No, you don't. If some package requries it, file a bug report. To "make
the kernel find the modules" you have to reboot anyways (so depmod is
executed from the init script) or the modules package runs depmod (with
the special path arguments for the new kernel) in postinst.

> - In my experience, if you forget the export of step 7, you have to wipe
> your whole kernel source tree and start at step 2. I know I'm supposed
> to do a make-kpgk modules clean, but that didn't do the trick; I still
> got errors like "The changelog says we are creating 2.4.21-4-k7, but I
> thought the version is 2.4.21" or something similar (I didn't actually
> copy paste this from a real situation, it might have been the other way
> round).

Should not happen. If it fails, file a bug report.

> - all of the above really works, so I must be doing something right.
>

> QUESTIONS:
>
> A) Why isn't this procedure documented properly somewhere? Especially

This is not the default procedure. Working with kernel-headers is
documented in some FAQs and many README.Debian files of the ...-src
packages.

> NVIDIA packages at the time I installed them. This caused a lot of
> mental suffering for me. (Which brings us to another thing: WHY oh WHY,
> isn't the procedure to get and install the NVIDIA drivers more automated!?)

I fail to see your problem. Read
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian.gz and follow the steps
in the section:

METHOD #1 Using a kernel-headers package

MfG,
Eduard.
--
Ihr wollt also mit ein oder mehreren PHP-Leuten ins LinuxTag-Büro
einziehen wegen Kommunikationsproblemen (mit wem?!), aber nicht