Re: Snort: Mass Bug Closing

Sander,

in principle, I agree that fixing those bugs by backporting patches is
not worth the effort, but let me suggest an alternative plan (which the
SRM will hate me for, so you should probably ask him before):

 - Check which of those bugs are really fixed in the newest version
 - Upload a backported package that
   + Pre-Depends on debconf
   + in its preinst gives the user the choice to abort the installation
     along with a message describing the situation (no new rules in the
     old format, ...).
   + includes a script to convert rules from the old to the new format
   + closes all the bugs in the changelog (they will be closed when the
     SRM installs the packages in the next point release or on security,
     depending on what you and the SRM agree is more appropriate)

This way, all users will benefit from the upgrade, not only those who
have sent in bug reports. If people have written local rule files, they
get the chance to convert them to the new format and are not suddenly
left with a system that cannot read their rule files. While this may not
be a good idea to go about every outdated package in stable, I do think
this particular update makes sense. Also, you don't have to worry about
other arches that way, since they will be autobuilt.

Then go on backporting necessary fixes to that version, so people aren't
forced into an incompatible upgrade again.

   Simon (who didn't mean to turn on his box while officially on
   vacation)

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4