Re: [PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 04:51, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman said:
> > I  do not think  that version  number milestones  are important  for a
> > release.   I   think  that  having   a  well-integrated,  high-quality
> > distribution is  important for  a release, and  this is not  so easily
> > monitored.
>
> Releasing with KDE 2.2, GNOME 1, and a default of GCC 2.95 would be just
> plain pathetic.  So sometimes, version number milestones *are* important
> for a release. ..

> I guess what really matters here is having versions which aren't
> ludicrously out of date.  Specifically, if something was released
> upstream over a year ago, and Debian releases with an even *older*
> version (without good reason), that's not good at all.

I disagree. We should ship ASAP despite, or even because of, older
milestones. With RC bugs and d-i (as is) fixed, Sarge would still be an
improvement on current stable, woody: the longer between releases the
less useful the distro is, as it lacks modern drivers on the CDs.
Already people are running into problems installing woody due to old
drivers: eg new servers with gigabit NICs not supported in woody CDs
make installing very painful.

Secondly, we need to signal to upstream to fix up _their_ act, too. If
we can't ship, for example the latest gcc because glibc isn't ISO C
compliant and working with gcc-3.3 (see other thread), then others need
to act: glibc maintainers (upstream). Why is it considered OK for other
commercial distributions to ship shoddy software? Instead of being
ashamed of shipping old versions, we should ship whats in testing, and
let people ask questions as to why we're not shipping gcc 3.3. And
answer them.

regards,
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@debian.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine