Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:07:58PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:01:14 +1000
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> > exim, however isn't.  it's configuration still looks and feels pretty much
> > like smail, and nobody ever accused smail of being simple and easy to
> > configure. clumsy and awkward, generally....."simple" only relative to
> > sendmail.cf
>
> Glad to see you're still up to your old tricks, Craig.

which tricks would they be?  gratuitously stating provable facts and providing
verifiable information?  i ought to be ashamed of such tricks, right?

> Sorry, because of this discussion I downloaded the latest stable version of
> Postfix to see what the configuration files were like.  After about an hour I
> still hadn't wrapped my brain around it.  I started Googling for some common
> things I do in Exim (SA, for example) and couldn't even find a simple
> walkthrough.

obviously, http://www.postfix.org/ is too hard to find.  as is the
/usr/share/doc/postfix/html/ reference i provided in this thread yesterday.

> Hell, I wasn't even sure how I would relay for MX hosts in that time.

this is clearly documented:

either list domains in your relay_domains map or have permit_mx_backup in your
smtpd_recipient_restrictions.  a relay_domains entry looks like this:

example.com    OK

you can also override MX records and specify where & how mail for a domain (or
even individual recipients) should be sent in the transport map.   e.g.

example.com           smtp:[x.x.x.x]
foo.example.com       uucp:foo
fred@foo.example.com  smtp:[y.y.y.y]

> The access lists seem to be horrid since they are based on the arbitrary
> order of the headers!

huh?

like many people, you're obviously confused by the difference between headers
and envelope.  this is indicative of a lack of experience, they are two
entirely different and unrelated things.

access lists have nothing to do with headers.  access lists are applied against
information found in the SMTP envelope (client IP, client FQDN, HELO/EHLO
identification, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO), not in the headers.

header_checks are applied against headers, but they are a completely different
thing to access lists.  they are a simple way of rejecting mail based on regexp
or pcre patterns in message headers and/or mime attachment headers.  note the
word simple, that basically means "first match 'wins'" - if you want more
complex filtering, then use a filter like SpamAssassin.

> Contrast that to Exim where I had it up and running in short order and
> poking through the configuration file I was able to easily open up my relays
> for secondary MX,

a better test of "easyness" would be to get a bunch of people who have had no
experience with either postfix or exim before to set up both.

> open up relays for static IPs that I would send mail from

$mynetworks lists the IP address that you will relay for.

>     So where do we stand?  You have your opinion, I have mine and neither of
> them really applies to anyone else, now does it?

sorry, i don't buy into the mediocrity line that all opinions have the same
worth.  the truism that everyone has the right to hold an opinion does not mean
that all opinions are worth the same, opinions have different worths depending
on the level of relevant experience and knowledge behind them.

craig