Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

Hi Sam,

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:19:29AM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >  >    svgalib (#173471), orphaned 205 days ago
> >  >      (...)
> >
> >  Of all those people, someone surely has an interest in this.  Or
> >  perhaps it's time to just drop this crash-inducing security-scary
> >  package?
>
>    Is anyone working on this?

I was going to adopt it, but don't have enough hw, so was thinking on
co-maintaining it with (someone else / a group).

> svgalib is x86 only, doesn't work with
> most cards and needs root, but it is very fast. And upstream is not very
> active these days, but the pre-2 releases looked promising.

The pre-2 version has a kernel module that allows normal users
not require root.

> I would like
> to help in any effort done on the svgalib packages, but I do not feel
> like adopting it since I only have two different video cards.

Are you coming to DebCamp? So maybe we can hack on this, and open an
Alioth project...

>    In the other hand, porting an svgalib program so that it uses SDL
> instead is not extremely difficult (I did it for gravitywars), and SDL
> has an svgalib backend so almost no features are lost.

But right now there are packages still using it.

regards,
guillem