Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:20:09 +0200, David B Harris wrote:

(I think we should let this side-discussion rest soon, as it doesn't
contribute anything new.)

>> What use would a user account on a simple Apache box have? No desktops,
>> no shells. Just Apache. Everything that is done on that box requires
>> root permissions. (OTOH, this scenario cries for remote delivery via
>> SMTP anyway. Should the Debian minimal MTA support this?)
>
> Honestly? Practically, install sudo(8) and use your regular user account
> for everything except for that which requires root privs.

Do people use their web server for regular work? I have a server in mind
which does nothing but serving HTTP. (Uploading data via FTP doesn't
count.) What tasks would you perform on such an installation without being
root? The situation is different for a desktop box of course, where root
logins are a big no-no.

> Most people only need to 'rm -rf /' as root three or four times before
> they realise that they can really spend most of their time as a
> nonprivileged user :)

That thing hasn't bitten me yet. Still waiting for the big day :)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!