Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:49:12AM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> Another random idea from my misguided brain: Maybe there should be
> separate exim packages: exim4-local (which is the MTA automatically
> installed by dependencies) and exim4 (which a sysadmin in need of an MTA
> would install). The two could share the binaries and only provide
> different maintainer scripts.

Well, currently 93 packages depend, and 25 suggest mail-transport-agent as a
dependency. I guess most of them only depend on /usr/sbin/sendmail.

3 classes of MTAs are possible here:

a) local delivery only (send the cron mail to root alias)
b) for remote delovery only (send the cron mail to yahoo)
c) full featured MTA which also accepts SMTP

So maybe one of those 3 options should be asked by the debian installer
(maybe as a task, maybe as a real config question)

If a and b are sone by exim or by other packages, is up for discussion.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --