Re: problem setting up interlibrary dependencies

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 06:51:57PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> Note furthermore that there's a certain assumption about upstream not
> being of the "it's binary forwards compatible" persuassion (what
> happens if upstream decides to introduce a new function call but not
> modify the SONAME -- hint, think versioned provides).

There should even be a way around this:

      Package: libvibrant6-gl
      Depends: whatever, libgl1
      Replaces: libvibrant6
      Conflicts: libvibrant6

(no Provides:)

And in the shlibs for libvibrant6:

         libvibrant 6 libvibrant6 (>> current-version) | libvibrant6-gl (>> current-version)

The disadvantage of this one is, as you noted, that you can't have both
dev packages installed at the same time.  Actually, you can't have
libvibrant-dev and libvibrant6-gl installed at the same time either (and
the Conflicts: of libvibrant-dev should reflect this), because it's
impossible to deterministically choose which lib to link to at runtime
if both are installed.  But since neither of the other approaches seemed
to win Aaron over, I think this option is worth examining as well.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer