Re: [mass bug filing?] Short descriptions being used as long descriptions and other policy violations

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:25:50PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:25:03PM -0700, Neil Spring
> <nspring@cs.washington.edu> was heard to say:
>> dpkg-souce(1) implies that substitution variables are
>> limited to a single line (which seems poorly suited to long
>> descriptions).

>   Then as long as the shared part is a single paragraph you should
>   be fine.

>   Actually, it looks like you could use ${Newline} and friends to
> include multiple lines (I haven't tried this myself, though)

Thanks, Daniel, ${Newline} worked.  The trick I learned
while making this work is that when using debhelper, the
standard description must be kept in a different file, as
substvars is avoided in favor of pkgname.substvars.

So, in debian rules, anyone who would like to use a common
description with debhelper will have to:

   cat debian/description.subst >> debian/pkg.substvars
   cat debian/description.subst >> debian/pkg-dev.substvars
   dh_gencontrol -a

thanks again,
-neil