Re: non-root syslogd?

Hi

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 02:59:35PM -0700, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> Has anyone investigated what would be necessary to get a non-root syslogd
> working under Debian?  It seems like this would be a good thing, but obviously
> there have to be some tricky bits, else it would have happened already.  :)
>
> Is this worth working on?  Has anybody already done this?
http://tretmine.org/sysklogd-1.4.1-security.patch

Be aware that I did not do this patch. Chris Wing did it. I found it
somewhere on the web, but I forgot where, I think, two or three years ago
its link was posted on security-audit list or so (for 1.3, I modified it
for 1.4.1).

Use it, do your described changes and file a bug and send the stuff to the
maintainer. This patch does no considerable harm IMHO, so it should be
used by default (if it is setup right).

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://tretmine.org