Re: Resolvconf -- a package to manage /etc/resolv.conf

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 12:42, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Please, would you consider to add another feature: priorising some
> entries depending on the source.  That means:
>
> pppoeconf's and pppconfig's script run the tool with parameter "--class
> dialup", dhcp clients with "--class dynamic" and the default class would
> be static. In some config file, the user defines that "dialup" gets
> priority one, "dynamic" two and static three (for example), and
> resolvconf merges the existing dns entries in the appropriate order.

Let me start by saying that resolv.conf is generated by
/etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc , which, being a conffile,
can be customized by the admin.

Your idea strikes me as a good one.  It would add some
complexity to the system, but it would provide more
information for /etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc to use when
it generates the resolv.conf file.  Currently the script
discriminates only on the basis of interface type (i.e.,
lo, ppp or eth).

However, I would only want to add this feature if we were
certain that it was needed.

--
Thomas Hood