Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 05:22:33PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Mark Brown (broonie@sirena.org.uk) [030705 16:05]:
> > On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 02:56:30PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
>
> > > OK, so basically you think ftpmaster people should spend review each ITP for
> > > such global rejection reasons, then? You can't expect this to happen in any
> > > remotely timely fashion, at least not with this many ftpmasters and this
> > > many hours in a day.
>
> > Not to mention that it's still possible that a package may have a
> > problem which is not obvious until the package is seen.
>
> Nobody said that ftpmaster must see all problems from ITP. But - every
> problem that is seen at ITP time saves volunteer time for more usefull
> things.

There's no reason an entirely different team of people couldn't do this.

The FTP admins occasionally solicit the debian-legal list's opinions on
particularly thorny or obnoxious license issues, and I have been
personally consulted from time to time as well.

So I'd say there's some precedent for this, and I'm not personally in
favor of heaping still more work on the FTP admins' plate.  I think
they'll be more inclined to handle their existing responsibilities in
the more transparent manner called for by some developers if the scope
of their duties doesn't expand.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to