Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

On Saturday 05 July 2003 09:26, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 03:01:14 +0200, Yven Johannes Leist
>
> <leist@beldesign.de> wrote:
> >I find that to be a very unfair accusation, since at least to my eyes
> > there was nothing especially unfriendly, unreasonable or otherwise
> > criticizable in James rejection notice.
>
> How would you react if somebody called work you did and that took a
> few hours "silly"? And Mr. Troup's appreciation of my work is
> appropriately named in the directory name the package sits in at the
> moment.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call this nice either, but very often working on free
software isn't "nice" in that sense. Compared to Linus, who will happily tell
you that he doesn't care about hurt feelings at all and officially endorses
public humiliation in order to "shame people into fixing their stuff",
ftp-master seems almost meek, I'd say.

In the kernel case often not just hours or days, but months or even years of
work have been simply thrown away; just see the story of the new kbuild
system or the ide layer in 2.5 for instance.

Hence, for something roughly equivalent to the kbuild case, imagine yourself
creating at least a dozen heavily complex packages, putting lots of efforts
into maintaining them in your private repository while trying to convince
people for months on debian-devel why these packages are actually useful and
needed and many people strongly agreeing with that sentiment and *then*
ftp-master coming along, simply rejecting them and maybe not even telling you
why exactly they won't accept your packages, and to make matters even worse
not even having ever told you that they would never except them anyway.
Put into such a perspective I think you'll understand why I find ftp-master
meek in comparison.

> >Hmm, *my* strategy for handling such states of emotional unrest is to wait
> > at least half a day to see how much anger or "madness" is actually left,
> > since I find that to be an enormous efficiency gain with respect to
> > avoiding lengthy and pointless discussions... ;-)
>
> Actually, I get madder the longer I think about it.

Hmm, you obviously need a different strategy then... ;-)

Cheers,
Yven

--
Yven Johannes Leist - leist@beldesign.de