Re: [devel] logging for package installs

Re: [devel] logging for package installs [Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>, Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:38:46PM -0400, <[🔎] 20030703213846.GN910@dragon.kitenet.net>]
> - Display various fairly unimportant warnings, which are often not
>   useful until after the package is installed and you're using it.
> - Display error messages, some fatal, and some not.
> - Show progress displays (in contravention of policy of course).
> - Various other indications of important and not so important things
>   that the maintainer script is doing.
> - Remind users to read the README.Debian file.

For most (some?) of these, the syslog could be used. I'd find it
convenient if the syslog (which I read through logcheck) contained
messages like "dpkg: foo 1.2.3 replaced by 1.2.4" etc. Each package
could also emit some more messages (in the style they use echo now, but
probably somewhat terser) and those people who would like to know, could
read it in the syslog. (The others probably don't even care about
debconf dialog boxes.)

Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, http://www.df7cb.de
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes, 0681/9657944