Re: Why doesn't libsidplay enter testing?

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  Thanks for the great script.  It shows me that the testing script seems
>  to be buggy, because:
>
> >   - Updating sidplay-base makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: sidplay-base
>
>  Uhm, that is somehow nonsense. How can an update of a package make
> itself uninstallable? What's the reasoning behind it?

Because it breaks testing rule #5: "The operation of installing the package into "testing" must not break any packages currently in "testing".

Updating sidplay-base alone breaks the current versions of xmms-sid and xsidplay. This is not allowed, and thus sidplay-base is uninstallable.

The solution is to update all of the packages at once, which requires manual intervention. As Colin Watson said, this has already been mentioned to the maintainer so the packages should be going in soon.

--
Björn