Re: Debconf or not debconf

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:50:29AM -0400, Jim Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:40:02 -0500 Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:12:22PM +0200, Julien LEMOINE wrote:

> > > 	I received a bug report on stunnel package from an user [1] that
> > > 	complained
> > > about the fact that I didn't warning about the new
> > > /etc/default/stunnel file introduced in package (thereis a note in
> > > README.Debian and in changelog).

> > > 	Since debconf is not really appreciated for this use, what is
> > > 	the best
> > > solution ? Inform users with debconf or give them informations only
> > > in changelog and README.Debian ?

> > Does the introduction of /etc/default/stunnel break a large percentage
> > of installed systems?  If so, I would recommend looking for a way to
> > provide a more graceful upgrade -- this is worth much more than a note
> > telling users that you've just broken their systems...

> It breaks 100% of stunnel installations.  The old stunnel was command
> line oriented, the current one is configuration file oriented.  It would
> be very difficult to write a converter.

> I am going to disagree with most responders here.  I think that in the
> case that if upgrading a package introduces substantial risk of
> breakage, a debconf message is quite appropriate. When a security
> related package has high risk of breakage, it is urgent.

> Now, this breakage happens to be somewhat benign, in that without
> configuration, it does not function at all. But it is also somewhat
> difficult to test for many uses.  Further,  when the unconfigured
> system fails to start, the failure is completely silent. This adds
> to the problems.

My original argument stands:  we should not be telling our users that we
broke their system, because we shouldn't be breaking it in the first
place.  In this instance, it sounds to me like a bout of upstream
bogosity has resulted in a rather grave regression in the quality of the
software.  Why would it ever be a good idea to *not* give users the
ability to control the program using commandline options?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer