Re: debootstrapping and sysvinit

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 06:35:50PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> *  (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
> | Now, did the NMU follow the rules in the developers reference ?
> aj opened[1] the bug hunting season last year.. it hasn't closed yet.

While this is true, Bastian didn't actually follow even the lightweight NMU
policy there.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200201/msg00014.html

Note in particular from that message:

]        * A maintainer upload is better than a non-maintainer upload.

]                                                           If the bug
]         hasn't been filed yet, or the patch hasn't been sent to the bug,
]         you almost certainly shouldn't be making an NMU... yet.

]                                                              email
]         xxx@bugs.debian.org with a note that says "This bug can be fixed
]         by applying this patch [...].

Any NMU that results in the maintainer being irritated is a bad
NMU. That doesn't necessarily stop it from also being a necessary NMU,
but irritating maintainers is something to avoid wherever possible.

There really isn't any reason to do an NMU without having first sent
the patch to the BTS (which will notify the maintainer), and for a bug
that's already been around a week without causing massive chaos, there
isn't really a reason no to give the maintainer a day or two to respond
to your patch before NMUing.

Cheers,
a "Be good to yourself, and to each other" j

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?
                      Am I getting paid for this?''