Re: not modified modifications

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:36:49AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>
> > i am very sure, I did never have touched this file, so why is dpkg always
> > asking me if i want to overwrite it? IS this a dpkg problem, is it a
> > packaging problem, or is is a script which is modifying those files?
>
> I believe this happens when a conffile moves from one package to another, is
> renamed, or a configuration file switches to being a conffile when it was
> previously not.

Some X package once had a conffile.  Upstream then changed stuff around, and
the package no longer included the conffile.  Then upstream changed again, and
the conffile came back.  Dpkg prompted on this last upgrade, and never said a
thing for the other installs/upgrades(about the conffile no longer being a
conffile).