Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 08:15:11AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:14:31PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> >
> > I think this is contracticting to what you said just a few messages earlier.
> > For 2.4.21 will there be a pristine kernel-source and seperate i386-patch or
> > not? It seems I am the m68k maintainer, and I am for the seperate patch
>
> It does.  The current plan is outlined in
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg01805.html
>
> Basically it means you can continue doing what you're doing now if you
> wish, and if so you don't have to worry about the kernel-source package
> from changing under you since the kernel-patch-debian package will always
> give you the same tree until you change it.

Sorry, I missed this the first time around... it looks perfectly
reasonable to me.

By the way, wrt your comment in that message about it being unworkable
to maintain a separated-out set of patches: if you're interested in
pursuing it at all, Andrew Morton's (and others, now) "quilt" scripts
are absolutely priceless.  They make it tremendously simpler.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz