Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

In chiark.mail.debian.devel, Matthias Klose wrote:

>- Trying to "fix" this resulted in libstdc++5 packages built for
>  i386 and ix86, and selecting the atomicity implementation based on
>  target cpu macros. This approach doesn't work, as I learned now.
>  See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2003-04/msg00394.html: It's
>  not possible to mix the two implementations.

Is it possible to "fix" this (ie, provide ABI compatible versions for
i386 and i486) without breaking stuff? 386s are faster than many other
pieces of hardware that we still support, so dropping them seems strange
- on the other hand, an i386 sub-distribution sounds like a world of
pain. Having a standard library that only supports one of the allegedly
supported processors if the ABI changes sounds like the real bug to me.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org