Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

* Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> [030426 05:57]:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:41:14AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > 1a. create a stripped down version for i386, i.e. required/important
> >     and go for i486.
>
> Is there much performance improvement in dropping i386 in favour of
> i486+?

For openssl there is a huge improvement.  I was doing benchmarks on
openssl (they were done for internally at a company I no longer work
for).  We were using P3's at the time.  The highest performance gain was
between i386->i486 for varied ciphers; that is to say going to i586 or
i686 (with gcc2.9x) was not that much better.

Take this with a grain of salt...  this may actually have something to
do with openssl having canned ASM implementations for some ciphers on
some architectures, but I am not sure about that.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/