Re: Autobuilder locale setup

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:02:45PM -0600, Adam Conrad wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> >
> > This works fine when the locales exist for each localisation, but if
> > they don't exist, it defaults to C locale/US-ASCII charset.  Can the
> > autobuilders guarantee a full set of generated locales, or is only C
> > available?
>
> Autobuilders don't even have "locales" installed by default, as it's
> non-essential, so you certainly can't count on any specific locales being
> there, no.  You can, however, generate the locales that you need and make
> them available to you during your package build, with some trickery.  See
> debian/locale-gen in the gcc-3.2 source package, for instance.

Do keep in mind that locales are not guaranteed to even exist on all archs
(to wit, only glibc based arches have it as it's commonly used). NetBSD
*does* have locale support, but it's a somewhat different beast. Which has
not (yet) even been solved for gcc, sadly (I don't know enough about the
system, yet, to usefully fix this issue for gcc).

Granted, the likely result is that it simply fails to build (ever) on such
archs, until some useful solution is found, so it probably doesn't matter
all that much (won't keep it out of testing or any other such evilness,
etc...)

Failing that, it's on my TODO list for netbsd-libc, but rather behind a
number of other things like backporting some important compiler support
features.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>